UPDF deserters pinned in murder of mobile money agents

Police detectives have pinned four suspects being tried for the murder of two mobile money agents in Zana along Entebbe Road in June this year.  Harriet Nalwaddas and Moreen Nakabuubi were shot dead by gunmen riding on motorcycles on June 10.

The gunmen made off with Shs 6.8 million. Four suspects including Bob Anichan, a UPDF deserter formerly attached to Uganda Military Academy Kabamba,  Dennis Mangusho, formerly attached to 63 Battalion, Stanley Mulunda alias Jumba Frank, a casual laborer from Masanafu and Issa Ntale, alias Ganja a Boda Boda rider were picked in connection to the murder and arraigned in the Army General court martial.

On Monday, prosecution led by Lt. Col. Raphael Mugisha, police detectives; Dickens Ebwang, the Officer in charge of Criminal Investigations at Katwe Police division and Patrick Sembatya from Entebbe Police Station to pin the accused.

Ebwang told the General Court Martial chaired by Lt. General Andrew Gutti that he was sent by his supervisor, ASP Nasser Mulimira on June 11, to investigate some cases of armed robbery in Wakasanke, Lugala and Masanafu city suburbs.

He explained that it was during this mission that he visited a crime scene and found Stanley Mulunda one of the suspects in the custody of Police flying squad operatives.

Mulunda had reportedly sustained severe injuries as he was cut by bottles on a perimeter wall fence while trying to flee.

Ebwang told court that he conducted a search in and outside the suspect’s home from where he recovered a motorcycle number plate together with its agreement, two rifles, one with 26 rounds of live ammunition and the other with six rounds.

He also says he recovered body armor (bullet proof jacket), four cartridges and an Itel phone and hammer. Ebwang tendered all the items he reportedly recovered from the suspect’s home to court as exhibits.

Detective Patrick Sembatya, who took the stand as the second witness told court that he recorded the charge and caution statement of Mulunda while at the Special Investigations Department in Kireka.

He told court that Mulunda confessed to how he had killed Nakabuubi and Nalwadda before running away with their money, which he shared with his accomplices.

Mulunda also reportedly admitted to robbing Shs 16 million from a woman in Nateete and threw away her vehicle keys to stop her from chasing them. He reportedly pocketed Shillings 6 million as his share from the robbery.

Sembatya also narrated to court how Mulunda claimed in his statement that while in Luzira prison sometime back, he met some friends who directed him to the Democratic Republic of Congo where they bought a cheaper magazine at Shs 220,000 to facilitate their robbery missions.

During cross examination, Mulunda who now uses clutches told court that he confessed to the crimes to escape torture. He also denied having recorded and signed the statements presented to court.

General Gutti adjourned the matter to November 12 for further hearing.