Gov’t turns down Parliament’s demand for a statement on Rwanda
First Deputy Minister Gen Moses Ali turned down a demand by MPs for a government statement explaining the current stand-off between Uganda and Rwanda.
Responding to Kampala Central MP Muhammad Nsereko who rose to demand for a government explanation noting that closure of the Uganda – Rwanda borders had left over 175 trucks loaded with merchandise which has caused losses worth over $30 million (Shs 108 billion) to Ugandan traders.
Moses Ali said that although government cannot pretend that all is well with Rwanda, but government is not ready to discuss the stand-off until the appropriate time.
Rwanda closed its borders with Uganda last week leaving several traders counting losses.
Speaker Rebecca Kadaga gave government up to Thursday to come up with a statement explaining the unanswered impasse between Uganda and Rwanda.
Meanwhile, Foreign Affairs Minister Sam Kutesa in a statement refuted claims by Rwanda that Uganda is hosting elements planning to destabilize Rwanda.
“It is false that Uganda hosts any elements fighting Rwanda. Rwanda knows this very well as it has been a matter of confidential communication at the highest level of the two countries,” Kutesa said.
He added that Uganda cannot allow anyone to operate within its territory to threaten the stability of a neighbor.
“We are fully aware that our own development and transformation cannot take place without peace and security in the region. It is for this reason that Uganda has continued to champion closer collaboration and coordination within regional frameworks,” Kutesa stated.
Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs minister Richard Sizibera claimed at a press conference in Kigali on Tuesday morning that there wrong elements operating withing Uganda.
Kutesa also dismissed accusations of illegal arrests and torture of Rwandan nationals fronted by Rwanda government officials. He said that it is not true that Uganda arrests, tortures and harasses Rwandans.