Police blocks Juma Prayers at Kololo

The police have blocked a planned demonstration by Muslims against the mysterious killings of Muslim clerics.

Parliamentary Imam also Kawempe North MP Latif Ssebaggala and his Kampala Central counterpart also Shadow minister for Security had mobilised Muslims for a mass national Juma prayer at Kololo Ceremonial grounds at which the Muslim community was to express their dissatisfaction.

The Muslims intended to pray for the killed clerics as well as those that have been arrested, tortured and “unfairly charged” of the killings.

They also planned to read out names of all Muslims who have been tortured, arrested or gone missing at the hands of security agencies.

The Police’s director of Operations Assuman Mugenyi however wrote to the MPs on Thursday, informing them the police had not cleared the prayers.

AIGP Asuman Mugenyi, the director of Police operations.

Mugenyi quoted Section 5 of the Public Order Management Act besides a communication from Uganda Muslim Supreme Council  (UMSC) distancing itself from the event.

Mugenyi’s communication was reinforced by a statement by police spokesperson Fred Enanga on Friday morning.

“This is to inform the general public and in particular members of the Muslim community who were intending to participate in the national Juma special prayers at Kololo independence grounds today Friday January 18 that the prayers will not take place after it was established that the religious gathering was not cleared by the Uganda Muslim Supreme Council, the supreme body legally mandated to oversee all activities under Islamic faith in Uganda,” Enanga stated.


He went on to clarify that prayers in other mosques will take place without fail.

Ssebaggala however accuses the police of dishonesty especially in its reference to the Public Order Management Act since he first wrote to the police early in December last year.

The matter was later taken to the floor of Parliament forcing the Minister of Internal Affairs Gen Jeje Odong to refer the organisers to the Ministry of Defence which is directly in charge of the Kololo grounds.

The Defence Ministry on January 4 wrote to the MPs referring them back to police for clearance.