Government contradicts Police on Rakai death toll


Government appeared disconnected from the reality relating to Monday’s inferno at St Bernard’s S.S Mannya in Rakai district that has so far claimed 11 lives.

On Tuesday, the State Minister for Higher Education John Chrysostom Muyingo presented a statement to Parliament indicating that nine students had died in the inferno much as the police on Monday released a list of 10 students who had died before another one died in hospital.

Muyingo told Parliament that 40 students had sustained injuries from the fire, and pledged government support to the families of the victims.

“ We have made some financial contribution to the bereaved families to assist with burial expenses and to each of the families of the injured students towards medical expenses. Government will continue to monitor progress of the admitted students,” Muyingo said.

He also told Parliament that government will work with Rakai district administration to reconstruct the damaged structures once investigations are complete.

MPs observe a moment of silence in memory of the students

The Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga called for speedy investigations into the cause of fire.

The Leader of the Opposition, Betty Aol Ocan called for the resignation of Education and Sports Minister Janet Museveni, and criticized government for failing to release reports into previous fires such as the 2008 fire that claimed 20 lives at Budo Junior school.
“Colleagues, this is not the first time that this is happening. We all know we have not been able to receive investigation reports before, the Ministry of Education, especially the Minister, is tempting us by saying we got the report of the [previous] investigations. She has to resign or be pushed to resign…the investigations report must come from 2008,” Aol said.

Kadaga stopped debate on the since investigations are ongoing.