Bobi Wine: Police confiscated my passport

In a detailed account of what happened to him upon arrival at Entebbe International Airport on Thursday, Kyadondo East MP Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine accuses the police of confiscating his passport without which, he may not travel out of the country again.

The musician turned politician jetted back in the country aboard a Kenya Airways flight KQ 412 from Nairobi after about three weeks in the US where he had gone for treatment.

He posted a statement on his social media platforms explaining the day’s events.

Here below is the slightly edited version of his statement.

After many days away, I am glad to be back home. (Thursday) was as hectic as it was when I left. The state has lost all shame. It is pathetic how the security agencies have devoted themselves to violating our rights with impunity day in day out!

Upon landing at Entebbe airport (on Thursday) afternoon, I was immediately arrested by people in police uniform and others in civilian attire. They grabbed me from the tarmac, took away my walking stick and grabbed my red beret off my head!

I was forced into a waiting police vehicle. I insisted that I did not want to get into an unknown car with complete strangers and that I had my own car waiting for me at the arrivals but my plea fell on deaf ears…

Even when I suggested that they let me get into that strange vehicle with Hon Winnie Kiiza (former Leader of Opposition in Parliament) with whom I had travelled from Kenya, they could hear none of that.

I was searched and my passport was taken from me. I still don’t know where it is!
I got sandwiched between two counter terrorism policemen in a vehicle that had other police officers waiting. I was then driven off towards the UN airbase with a string of police patrol cars and military trucks….

They drove at breakneck speed and after a long ride, we got to Kira, then headed to Gayaza road until I was eventually dropped at my home in Magere.

Once again my rights were grossly violated, but most importantly the rights of my friends, family and lawyers who endured gross harassment throughout the day.

Many of them were arrested and only released later in the evening without any case against them.

Many of my fellow leaders were put under house arrest for no offence whatsoever. Simply because the state suspected that they would want to go and receive me at the airport. This is gross abuse of authority.

I’m very bothered by the gruesome pictures and videos (that were) shared. Why would security agencies dehumanize Ugandans this much? I saw people, most of whom were going about their business along Entebbe road and Kasangati town, being beaten and manhandled by security. This impunity must stop!

I hope Ugandans who watch these things now fully understand why we must urgently work towards redemption.

I was overwhelmed by the masses of people who waited for me at home in Magere. I can’t thank you enough! I am thankful to God for getting me home safe. Viva!