Oulanyah blocks tabling of alleged list of Al-Shabaab victims

GYAGENDA KABUUBI

Deputy Speaker of Parliament Jacob Oulanyah on Wednesday blocked the tabling of a list of UPDF soldiers who were killed by Al-Shabaab militants on Sunday.

The shadow Minister for Defence also Kilak South MP Gilbert Olanya had told Parliament that both President Yoweri Museveni and UPDF spokesman Brig Richard Karemire were giving wrong figures of the casualties of the Al-Shabaab attack on a UPDF detach in Somalia’s Lower Shabelle province.

“The government is telling us that we have lost only 8 soldiers but we have reports that prove 10 soldiers died,” Olanya said.

The FDC man was reading from a statement prepared by the Leader of Opposition in Parliament Winnie Kiiza that the opposition claims is based on their sources within the African Union peace keeping force in Somalia (AMISOM).

“The exact number of UPDF soldiers who died in the attack remains uncertain which has led to many speculations over what is the motive behind the secrecy,” Olanya said.

List of the dead and injured UPDF soldiers that Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah rejected.

Karemire on Sunday reported that four soldiers had been killed and six others sustained minor injuries while Museveni who is the Commander in Chief said in a tweet that eight soldiers were killed.

Museveni did not mention how many got injured.
The list Olanya wanted to table in Parliament has 10 names of the dead soldiers and 14 others who allegedly got severely injured.

“We need the truth to be told,” Olanya said, “Some of our soldiers in Somalia are living in harsh conditions, we are losing more than what we gain.”

But the Deputy Speaker did not allow him to read the names because the list was from a source he could not trust.

The Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs Adolf Mwesige insisted that Uganda lost eight soldiers and also killed 130 Al-Shabaab militants.

He promised to bring to Parliament a full report on Thursday.